reading the full screen

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Wed Oct 24 17:43:28 EDT 2007

Gregory Nowak <greg&romuald,net,eu,org> inquired:

 > When one uses numpad-plus to read the screen, is there a way to
 > control the size of text chunks speakup sends to the synth, either
through something in
 > /proc/speakup, or in some other way without modifying the code

     I'd sure love to know that one, too.  Executing an:

$ ls /var/log/scripts/*

...in Slackware crashes my synthesizer, probably from an over-filled
buffer, as the directory is filled with scripts used to install  all the
software on the system.  I'm sure there is some kind of CTS/RTS
handshaking going on somewhere, but I can't find any info on it to set
my synthesizer's parameters.  I wish I could help you.  I tried setting
the LINES environment variable to 300 to see if the 'less' command would
say more than 24 lines of text per screen, but I get nothing new.
Sounds like we have similar problems, anyway.  If I find anything, I'll
letcha know.

         Michael

PS: Can anyone tell me how this message appears?  Finally got
Thunderbird to take pasted text from Notepad in a reply, and am
wondering if lines are still exceeding 72 characters per line.  TIA.