Printer/scanner suggestions.

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Sun Oct 7 13:38:03 EDT 2007

Janina Sajka <janina&rednote,net> judged:
 > Looks more like inexperience than a crack to me.

     <laughs>  Yep.  You're absolutely right.  I was typing 'ls -a'
rather than ls -ad' and was seeing the contents of subdirectories.  In
my own defense, I didn't hear the colon.  Live and learn, I guess, as I
discovered my mistake yesterday when I was backing up files.  I had been
rereading the screen by lines instead of by words.  Those 4 and 6 keys
on SpeakUp's keypad made all the difference.  I'm still wondering how
the .xine directory  got there, though.  I started X11 once to see if it
spoke, and then another time to see if Orca was installed and ready to
go, and then gave it the Ctrl+Alt+Backspace when nothing happened.  Last
time I played with Xine was on my old Debian system.
     Well, I'm off to see if the less command can display 300 lines of
text per screen.  Every time I try to   "play" something from the Honor
Harrington series of novels, my synth crashes.  I guess the PC can't
take all the excitement of David Weber's naval engagements, or it's
female and prefers Nora Roberts' romance novels. <grins>  Okay, so I'm
in love with Martha Harmon-Pardee's voice.  Sue me. <grins>  The "Eve
Dallas"Sci-Fi series suckered me in, and now I'm interested in Peabody.
  She's scrappy.

         Michael