editors

W. Nick Dotson nickdotson at bellsouth.net
Thu Nov 1 14:10:01 EDT 2007

Actually, Vista has that searching and indexing thing down to something that feels pretty friendly and normal.

Nick

On Thu, 01 Nov 2007 10:50:53 -0500, Albert E. Sten-Clanton wrote:

 > One thing bad about linux editorsYou have to learn them. I can switch from
 > notepad to TextPad to UltraEdit without having to figure out what keystrokes
 > to use with each program. Home puts you at the beginning of the line.
 > Shift+cursordown marks the line. Shift+Del cuts the line. Shift+Ins pastes
 > it. Control+f,s saves the file.
 >
 > They all have their own keys for the fancy stuff but you can do the basics
 > without learning anything about the editor.

 That's a very fair point indeed.  Sometimes, I forget I'm editing with emacs or vim and hit one of those Windows editor keys.  Derrr!

 One thing I like a lot about using one of the Linux editors is that I can just type its name and the file to bring up.  It reminds me of the old DOS days, when I
did the same with WordPerfect.  If there's a way to do that in Windows, I don't know it.  With it, I have to be careful which directory it's looking in for a file, or
which directory became the default if I had the temerity to put something in other than "my documents."

 Al