compiling a new debian kernel

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Thu May 31 23:15:53 EDT 2007

Hi, I am wanting to upgrade to the latest version of the kernel.  I have
downloaded kernel 2.6.21.3 and installed speakup using the checkout
script.  I also installed kernel-package as it says in the debian
installation guide.  In order to get a kernel packaged with all modules
and the initrd image created either if the kernel is installed or me
create it before or better yet not needing an initrd at all what is the
best process to follow?  I would prefer not needing an initrd image.  Any
help would be great!