Successful Debian install...Now what?

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed May 30 10:05:02 EDT 2007

The kernel you installed from grml probably already supports software
speech. After all, grml supports software speech. That means the next step
is probably to install the rest of the software speech components. There are
excellent instructions on getting software speech working on the  speechd-up
web site.  See the following page:

http://www.freebsoft.org/doc/speechd-up/speechd-up_1.html

I like that page because it explains how to make sure that each step is
working before moving on the the next. A lot of authors could learn from
that.  I believe the guy who wrote that page is on this list. Herman?