GRML: Loss of speech after upgrade?

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Tue May 29 12:22:51 EDT 2007

* Zachary Kline <Z_kline at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I was able to successfully install GRML to the hard disk using
> Lilo as a bootloader.  After that, I managed to boot into GRML and
> get software speech.  I noticed that for some reason I couldn't
> just do a make menuconfig on the kernel sources already provided
> in /usr/src/linux, so I did aptitude update and aptitude install
> grml.  The system said that I had the latest version already,
> which made sense since GRML 1.0 was only released a relatively few
> days ago.

You don't find the kernel sources shipped with grml. You have to
install them manually.

> When I did aptitude upgrade, however, I noticed some 150 or more
> packages that it said would be upgraded.  Is this normally the
> pace of unstable?

Yes.

> When I upgraded them, and rebooted, I got no speechand seemingly
> no network connection either, which leads me to believe that the
> kernel might have panicked, or otherwise malfunctioned.  I didn't
> touch anything else in the system, and yet for some reason I
> couldn't get speech after a routine upgrade.  I wasn't expecting a
> hundred and fifty packages...

Did you maybe configure your network via /etc/network/interfaces (or
grml-network) and didn't set CONFIG_DHCP='no' in
/etc/grml/autoconfig on the other hand?

But *please*: do not use grml if you don't know how to handle
Debian unstable, really.

Using grml-debootstrap it's simple and easy to get a plain Debian
system, including grml's kernel as an option. If I have the time
I'll maybe work on some further magic so you can get swspeak without
any manual tweaking with a plain Debian (stable) system.

-mika-
--
 ,'"`.         http://www.michael-prokop.at/
(  grml.org -» Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins