spelling was Re: GRML swspeak?

C.M. Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Mon May 28 14:16:01 EDT 2007

Michael Prokop <mika at grml.org> writes:

> * C.M. Brannon <cmbrannon at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> There's a very easy fix for this:
>> renice 3 `ps -e |grep speechd-up |head -1 |cut -d' ' -f1`
> [...]
>
> Are we talking about the same grml version?
> grml 1.0 automatically does a 'nice -n -20 speechd-up' when invoking
> swspeak. Does not that fix your issue?

Hi Mika,
I'm using the latest and greatest, version 1.0.
I have better success when speechd-up has a positive (low)
priority, rather than a negative one.
I think this is because a low priority process makes fewer reads to
/dev/softsynth, so it is more likely to read words, rather than single
characters.  You can actually view this with a packet capture tool,
reading incoming messages on port 6560 (used by speech-dispatcher).
When speechd-up runs with priority <= 0, I see a speak message
generated and sent to speech-dispatcher for every character in a word,
but when it runs with priority > 0, it usually sends a speak message
to dispatcher containing a whole word or line of text.  I really don't
have an explanation for this, especially considering that other people
are not encountering the same behavior that I am!
I think the solution lies in modifying the speechd-up sources to use
a different buffering strategy, rather than recompiling kernels and
changing process priorities...

-- Chris