Speakup and grml spelling

keithint38 at commspeed.net keithint38 at commspeed.net
Mon May 28 11:28:08 EDT 2007

The only solution for this problem, is to grab the grml kernel source, and
recompile the kernel image. Mika does not support this; as the kernel lock
being preempted should be something left alone, because this is eusually
enabled across all normal current distrobutions of Linux. You should not
have any reason to use nice-levels, because once you make the following
change (I recommend installing on your hard-drive and booting back into
the installation of GRML first though) then make sure that you do this.
In make menuconfig (I will not explain how to do a compilation of the
kernel) you should be able to find documentation on this, go to Processor
type and features, and then select either Preempt the big kernel lock (and
disable this completly) or totally deactivate  the preemption if you
choose.
Then perform a make && make modules_install, and reboot the hard-drive
installation, and you should be fine.
BTW does anyone know if debian's ESpeak package uses "speak?" or the
Espeak executable library?
Regards, --Keith.