spelling was Re: GRML swspeak?

C.M. Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Sun May 27 21:32:17 EDT 2007

"Albert E. Sten-Clanton" <albert.e.sten_clanton at verizon.net> writes:

> Greetings!
>
> I booted up with the grml 1.0 Cd, using the "grml swspeak" command.
> After that and running the swspeak command again, I tried
>
> renice 3 `ps -e |grep speechd-up |head -1 |cut -d' ' -f1`
>
> as you suggested.  I got a short error/usage message.  I then
> retried the command, after replacing each ` with ".  I got the
> message that the old priority of 0 was changed to 3.  I also tried
> -12.  There was no change in the way the software speech read.
> Could I have missed something here?

That exact command line just worked over here.  Of course, I'm
running an HD installation of grml, but that shouldn't make any
difference.
The `ps -e ...` part of the command line finds the process ID of your
speechd-up process, and this becomes the second argument to renice.
Don't change ` to ", because this changes the semantics of
the command.  Text within backquotes is executed by the shell,
and the result is substituted back into the
command line.
For instance,
echo Today is `date`
should print:
Today is Sun May 27 ...

Anyway, if that command didn't work for you, just find the process ID
of speechd-up and call renice manually.

HTH,
-- Chris