debian etch CD installation issues and installing gcc and development tools

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Sat May 26 14:13:55 EDT 2007

Hi, I reinstalled etch using the speakup installation CD from
people.debian.org/~shane and had some odd issues with it.  I ran
speakup-expert to try to install testing instead of stable after I booted
into speakup-expert and changed debconf to low priority.  I was never
prompted to choose the version to install.  Another odd thing happend the
debian installation tried to remove the kernel I had selected with speakup
during installation of the base system.  I told it NO! and then everything
worked fine.  I then had to edit /etc/apt/sources.list to install testing
after installing the base system and selecting a debian mirror.  I installed
everything else using tasksel and found that none of the development tools
like gcc are installed any more.  If I try to install just gcc it wants me
to install other libs in the subgested packages and other things.  I would
like all of this installed as was the case with sarge.  Has anyone else had
these problems and if I ever need to reinstall is there a way to fix them?
One thing that shane should put on the people.debian.org/~shane site is an
sources.list file with the people.debian.org/~shane stuff in it so users can
download and murge it with their own so they can just use apt to install and
upgrade speakup kernels.