Cursor parking?

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Thu May 24 14:22:50 EDT 2007

Hi, and welcome to the list.

What cursor park does is ... well ... parks the speakup review cursor. Here's how it
works. Say for example you're reading a document in tty1, and making
notes on it in an editor in tty2. You might have noticed that whenever
you're reviewing the screen using the speakup review keys in a
console, you lose your position whenever you switch to another
console, and then switch back to the first console. So, going back to
our example of reading something in tty1, and making notes in tty2,
say you came to something in your document that you want to make notes
on. Before switching to tty2, press the park cursor key, which is the
dash key on the numpad, remembering to have your numlock off of
course. Speakup will say "parked." Then, switch to tty2, write down
your notes, and switch back to tty1. You'll find that the speakup
review cursor is exactly where you left it before you switched to
tty2. Do note however that if you silence speakup with numpad enter,
the review cursor will move to the bottom of the screen, even if the
cursor is parked. Also, remember to unpark the cursor once you've
finished reading your document, or you'll find that tty1 will behave
very strangely. Also, cursor parking works per console. What I mean is
that if you park your cursor in tty1, it will be unparked in
tty2. Hth.

Greg