TeX

Zachary Kline Z_kline at hotmail.com
Wed May 23 19:10:52 EDT 2007

Hello,
    I have heard a great deal about the use of TeX and LateX by the blind to do 'structured documents'.  I'm wondering if this package would be appropriate for things like essays, with fairly specific formatting requirements.  (I could always use a Windows word processor to do the same, but I get less feedback with those than I feel comfortable with.)
If this is indeed the case, could anybody recommend a good site for learning the fundamentals?  I've heard of a publication called the TeXbook, but can't find an accessible version.
Thanks much in advance,
Zack.