heretical thoughts was Re: Speakup dropped from Ubuntu

Adam Myrow myrowa at bellsouth.net
Fri May 18 19:26:42 EDT 2007

On Fri, 18 May 2007, Gregory Nowak wrote:

> No, speakup won't work through a converter, but just about anything
> else, especially user space programs will work through a converter
> just fine.

My experience with a USA19X USB to serial converter argues otherwise.  I
hooked a Power Braille 80 to one, and configured Brltty to use it.  Things
were always very unstable.  Brltty would routinely lose communications
with the Braille display, and thus, it would go dead for several seconds
at a time, then come back resulting in error messages on the console.
This was especially bad when there was a lot of data being sent to the
display.  So, I now have the Braille display on a PCI serial card, the
Dectalk USB in serial mode on the one internal serial port, and my UPS on
the USB-to-serial converter.  This works quite well for me since the UPS
sends no data, just changes one line when the power goes out, and another
when the battery is about to die.