heretical thoughts was Re: Speakup dropped from Ubuntu

C.M. Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Tue May 15 16:01:48 EDT 2007

Gregory Nowak <greg at romuald.net.eu.org> writes:

> I'm in full agreement with you there. I will personally not buy a usb
> synth, until I know that the manufacturer has released the specs for
> it without requiring an NDA to be signed.

This isn't going to happen.  IIRC, the Tripple Talk USB came out 5 or
6 years ago.

> Yes, gentoo, fedora, can be
> installed over ssh. Grml, ubuntu can be installed with software
> speech. However, what if someone wants to install and use a distro
> like debian or slackware, that support neither option as far as I
> know?

If you have a laptop made in the last couple of years, you won't be
able to do a talking install of Slackware, Debian, etc.
This trend will become more pronounced; it's only a matter of time
before hardware speech is nonviable.
So we need to start thinking about long-term solutions.
-- Chris