Speakup kernel patch dropped from Ububtu Gutsy

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Tue May 15 05:48:08 EDT 2007

Hi,

As part of an ongoing effort to bring our kernel tree closer with the
mainline kernel (ideally identical) we have opted to drop the speakup
patch from our tree.

We have found it fairly difficult to maintain and it has not seen the
kind of usage that the graphical systems (Orca, etc) have.

It seems that many speakup users traditionally prefer to compile their
own kernel, which will of course still be an option, and as Ubuntu
approaches a fairly standard kernel this should be fairly easy.

This does by no means mean that we are reducing our focus on
accessibility. We have a range of new projects in the works both for the
visually impaired and other groups. See:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Specs

Henrik

ps. I originally sent this on 30/04, but as was not subscribed it must
have bounced