DecTalk and DosEmu

Radical NetSurfer radsurfer at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 13:53:24 EDT 2007

One thing we learn about Richard (RadSurfer) is that
he
is no quitter.... trying yet another angle on this
DecTalk business he installs the very latest Dos
Emulator
1.40 package.
Seems to run aok, more or less.
Problem is, the way linux is protective of hardware
access, the dt_driv.exe program never gets to actually
probe for the presence of the ISA card...

I just moved all of the actual DecTalk PC 4.2C dos
files into the DosEmu folder and gave it a try.
There has to be some tweaking that would allow the
ISA/DMA addresses used specifically by the DecTalk
card to be made available to DosEmu, and presto!

So far no luck.

If I log into DosEmu as root, I get entirely different
folders that if I'm regular user, natually.
and I haven't been able to get lredir command to let
me access a location of the dectalk files to copy into
a dosemu folder as root anyways. very nasty business,
but
what the heck it if worked.

....still plugging away at it.

Lets vote on a 2.6xx upgrade to the DecTalkPC ISA
support!  There really are quite a few very decent
highend P3's still in use out there!

//Rich//