now speakup won't speak on my fedora core 6 installation

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Sat Mar 31 21:47:44 EDT 2007

Hi, I have added the following lines to /boot/grub/menu.lst

title           fedora core 6
root            (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2933.fc6spk
initrd  /boot/initrd-2.6.20-1.2933.fc6spk.img
savedefault
When I upgraded the kernel from downloading the rpms from
speakupmodified.org using ftp in binary mode and installing the kernel,
kernel-doc and the kernel-headers after removing the old kernel.  I then
rebuilt the initrd image as explained in the how to.  I am able to login
as root to my fedora core 6 system and even if I do modprobe
speakup_dectlk I get no speech and hear no beep when pressing back space
as I hear before issuing the modprobe command.  So far to work on my
fedora core 6 system I have just been mounting it in /mnt on my debian
etch system and then using chroot to set the root directory to the mounted
directory.  What can I do to tell the scripts that build the initrd when a
new kernel is installed to build speakup with the dectalk express module
so I won't need to rebuild it each time I install a new kernel?  Sorry for
all of these issues but I just don't know where else to look as this is
the largest source of speakup users so I am not trying to bother anyone
here with my questions, just need a little help starting out with fedora
core 6.