dont-init-tables again

Sina Bahram sbahram at nc.rr.com
Thu Mar 29 15:38:15 EDT 2007

I got this response from a friend of mine who is a heavy Gentoo user.

***

Sina,

Actually that's not entirely true.  By default portage will prompt you when
a file has been changed, letting you merge in changes, accept the new file,
or keep the old one.  That's what 'etc-update' does.

However, you can tell portage to always accept or deny changes, either for
individual files or entire directories.  Granted denying changes could be
bad since you'd not know if meaningful changes happen, but...

As an example, portage would LOVE to overwrite my sshd.conf changes.  I keep
having to tell it not to, *smile*

***

Hope this helps?

Take care,