Problem with accented characters

Cleverson clever92000 at yahoo.com.br
Sat Mar 17 22:13:54 EDT 2007

Hello all

I use eSpeak through Speech-Dispatcher. My native language is brazilian
Portuguese. In addition to the conventional alphabet and numbers and
punctuations, We use some characters that are out of ASCII range but not out
of Ansi range, that is, they are between 128 and 255. For example, the
characters "à, ê, í, õ, ú" correspond respectively to the ansi numbers 224,
234, 237, 245 and 250.

I placed all these characters in the /proc/speakup/characters file and did a
cat, but they are not being spoken when typed, nor read in the middle of
words as well.

My locale is "pt_BR.ISO-8859-1", and I know that the related characters are
perfectly displayed at screen, but when I navigate through letters in a
word, nothing is spoken in places of any accented letter.

I was wondering if chartab may have something to do with this problem. What
do mean these codes in chartab, such as "
B_CTL,

WDLM,

A_PUNC,

A_CAP,

ALPHA,

B_SYM", etc etc?

Any suggestion please to help me solving this issue?

Many thanks

Cleverson

"Be realistic; ask for the impossible."