NAEB looking for speakup folks to help implement on ebook reader

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sat Mar 17 11:04:57 EDT 2007

Hello Travis:  If the machine is intended to be open source then we
will certainly help port speakup to it providing we can get access to
a unit or two for development work.  I cannot check out the baen bar
site because it is heavily javascript based and I've tried to sign up
to it at least a dozen times with no luck.  I've written baen about
that and have heard absolutely nothing back from them about access to
the bar.  I have heard from them on the general tendency of their web
pages moving to javascript and they have not been understanding.
Basically they just said oh well.  One would think if you were willing
to provide them more funding they'd at least talk but they weren't
even interested when I wanted to join their baen book club so I'm
sceptical how interested anyone around there may be to provide open
source solutions.  I hope I'm wrong but I haven't had much luck so
far.  I realize they provide their books free to blinks but honestly
five bucks a book is not unreasonable and I've purchased dozens of
them before they became free.  They have loads of good material so it
would be nice to have access to the machines but even better to have
general access to their full site which they are not interested in
providing it seems.  Maybe because it is a separate company they'll be
more flexible.  If they are going the open source route there's hope
for them at least.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061