NAEB looking for speakup folks to help implement on ebook reader

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Fri Mar 16 20:59:24 EDT 2007

Hello all.
There is a new ebook reaer in the works, and since it runs linux, and
will cost around 320 dollars (us) I figured I'd drop a line here to
ask if anyone would be willing to assist with porting speakup to this
new device.  I don't know what linux kernel they're going to use
(yet) but I think it's at least partially open for discussion.  It's
going to be built by a major company, and the units that are going to
be produced are actually for a group that hangs out at Baen's Bar
(http://www.baens.com) in the baens bar section.  And, since Baen
provides all of their books they publish in paper format also in
electronic format, what better company to spearhead such an undertaking.
Admittedly, Baen is not officially involved with this ebook reader,
but since all the bar flies (as we call ourselves) hang out on Baen's
site, it's a good reason to give Baen at least some of the credit.
Basically, it will be a handheld unit with a display, and using the
linux os, so other applications can be added without further work by
the user if they so desire.
Anyone interested (Kirk can we interest you in helping?) Please let
me know, and I'll pass along any information we can all pull together.
This is an opportunity to get screen reading technology in on the
ground floor of a new device, and one that might just make it
possible to prove to some big name companies that talking solutions
don't have to be expensive.
The device already plays mp3 files, so speech output should be
possible with the onboard sound system, though I've not (yet)
confirmed this.
I do not have one of the test units, so I don't know what they're
capable of, but specs are on the project's web site (which I do not
have handy at the moment) but if you go to baen.com, and click on the
bar, browse down to electronic reader, then check out the messages in
the aeb threads, all required information is available.
But, again, I can also act as a go-between if folks aren't
comfortable with getting involved directly in such a project.
The units aren't yet ordered, so price is fluid at this point, but if
we can get roughly a thousand users interested (over 300 are already
signed up from the bar alone) it should be possible to produce the
first commercial ebook reader with speech out of the box.

Thanks for listening, and I hope folks more knowledgeable than I will
step in to lend a hand in this process.