An official slightly off topic anouncement

Doug Smith bdsmith at buncombe.main.nc.us
Sat Mar 10 02:56:35 EST 2007

Well.  That makes it necessary for me to ask a question.  Are you
using speakup on an amd 64 x 2 dual core? That's what I am going to
get, when the machines go on sale for school.  I want a big,
warp-driven system with all that memory and processing power.  What
kind of sound board are you using in that?

Now, on the subject of any kind of screen of death.  I know this.  I
am running grml 0.9 on a friend's single core pentium 451 mHz until I
buy me a new system, and this thing never dies.  The only problems I
have ever had that necessitate a reboot are those times when I type so
fast as to crash the speech subsystem.  This is a problem I have had
in computer use since the 1980's.  I can just slow down my keying and
avoid this, and this thing simply whirs along, pretty as you please.
I leave the computer on unless there's going to be lightening, then I
turn it off and unplug it..

Well, when I turn it all back on to start using it again, it all comes
right back up with speech ready for me to use.  I just log in and
restart the speech again.

I am glad, Lorenzo, to see that you are a fellow Star Trek fan.  What
I really want is the exact same kind of system that's on the
Enterprise, NCC-1701-D.  Any takers to help me build it?

By the way, an off-topic question to the fellow Star Trek fan, do you
know how I could find a good description of the actual shape of a
Federation ship like the Enterprise series? It's not all that good in
the novels.

Well, that's about it for now.  I hope that I can contribute, and find
out something here.

Live long and prosper.

--
Doug Smith: C.S.F.C.