An official slightly off topic anouncement

Sina Bahram sbahram at nc.rr.com
Fri Mar 9 14:29:10 EST 2007

Actually, the BSOD is completely configurable from the my computer screen.
As is the level of dumped output for further analysis, between no dump,
small dump, or large memory dump.

I've had windows XP instances going on for weeks at a time, running various
assistive technologies, compilers, IDE's, web browsers such as FireFox, IE,
and Opera, and more. I've also heard and experienced similar situations via
friends and family members, as well as colleagues.

In fact, I have seen windows server 2003 instances go on for months at a
time, and the only reason they were rebooted was because the system
administrator felt it necessary, or had a UPS misconfigured when the power
went out.

Admittedly, windows XP is a user OS, and unlike server 2003, might not get
you months and months of uptimes, but there again, I have had similar
situations.

Let's not go too far down the Linux is more stable path when it comes to
graphical desktops, user activities, and third party apps, as I have had
just as many kernel panics, dumps, and red screens of death as blue screens.

Earlier versions of windows were quite atrocious, which really explains the
attitude of a lot of grizzled Linux veterans, although it is always amusing
to me to see grizzled Linux folks talk about Windows, and then to realize
all of the experiences, numbers, and instances they are quoting are from
sometimes a decade old, if not at least five years ago.

Anyways, to each his own, yes? Personally, I believe using the right tool
for the job.

Take care,
Sina