Fedora 6 and Speakup on New Thinkpad

Beth Hatch bhatch200 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 8 11:26:38 EST 2007

Hi everyone,

I would like to set up a dual boot using Fedora 6 on my brand new
Thinkpad T60P laptop.  I already have a Linux desktop computer using the
Speakup modified Fedora 6, Gnome and Orca, etc.  Unfortunately, my
Thinkpad doesn't have an onboard serial port built into the system.  I
am wondering if Speakup would recognize my Dectalk Express hooked up to
either the docking station, which does have a serial port, or the
serial/parallel port bay adapter that I also purchased for this
computer.  The adapter fits into the ultrabay, you remove the DVD drive
and put the adapter into the bay instead.  I could probably install
Linux in graphical mode only using Gnome and Orca, but I would like to
have Speakup for use in text mode work and for the flexibility that
having Speakup access would provide for me.  Having Speakup available
would of course  allow me to  install Linux independently, also a very
important factor for me!!  I know I can use Speakup with software
synthesizers and speech dispatcher, but I need to get it installed
first.<smile>

    Any thoughts or information anyone has on this issue would be most
appreciated.  Thanks in advance!!

Beth