trplayer and debian 2.6.18

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Sun Mar 4 18:16:23 EST 2007

Mplayer does support quicktime mov files.
I just played one to be sure, and it's listed here:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/info.html

However, I think MOV is really a "container" codec
with other codecs within it (AIFF, CDDA, MIDI, MPEG4, etc)
similar to microsoft AVI, which isn't really a format in itself,
you still need the codec support for what is stuffed inside.
Perhaps that might explain why sometimes MOV will work
and sometimes not, depending on the codec support.

In any event, this famous MOV works for me on mplayer
http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/graphics/movies/1984.mov