Text-To-Speech on Phones: Nuance Talks

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Sun Mar 4 17:43:39 EST 2007

Regarding the use of rs232 synths via usb, I'm not sure I see the
necessity of reinventing the wheel, since you can pick up a usb to
serial converter at your local computer store rather cheaply these
days. The only thing you have to be sure of is that linux supports the
converter you're getting, and judging by what's available in the
usb-serial section, a lot of them are supported.

It seems that a bigger issue would be looking at the speakup code, and
figuring out if it can be made to work with non-standard serial ports,
instead of just those from ttyS0 to ttyS3, using standard i/o
addresses. As has been seen here in the past, this is a problem not
only for those using serial to usb converters, but also for those who
want to use a pci serial card which is not, or cannot be configured as
a standard rs232 port, appearing as ttyS0-3.

Greg