Text-To-Speech on Phones: Nuance Talks

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Sun Mar 4 14:03:47 EST 2007

Well, now you've gone and done it.  You are going to make me admit my
stupidity for everyone to see and hear!  We have developed a usb
driver for the 2.4.x kernels which is a standard device driver like
the dtlk driver under the character devices.  We don't have it for the
2.6.x kernels yet although James Axler is working on one at Access
Solutions.

I was trying to figure out how to modify speakup to be able to talk to
standard devices instead of special devices because I thought that was
what was expected by the kernel hacker community.  I found out about
two weeks ago that was not was expected and in fact is verboden.  So
now I need to write speakup device drivers to handle the usb synths
such as the TrippleTalk  and DECTalk usb synths.  I have not started
working on that yet because I'm trying to get the git repository of
speakup working as well as a bunch of other projects at work.  I plan
on getting to that as soon as I can find time.  I feel like an idiot
for spending so much time over the past few years trying to manage
something which turned out to be very difficult and wasn't even
necessary.  Like I've said before I often am woefully ignorant about
kernel hacking.

I think though before I start working on the usb drivers I want to get
the smp compliant portions of speakup working and some other clean up
stuff like moving speakup to /sys instead of /proc.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061