spd neither crashes nor speak

Zachary Kline Z_kline at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 3 15:40:28 EST 2007

Howdy,
You can actually unmask the speechd-up, speech-dispatcher, and espeak
packages safely.  They're not going to cause problems.
What you do is:
echo "app-accessibility/speechd-up ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.use
Repeat this with the other packages, making sure to get the syntax exactly
right: two greater than signs, and a tilda before x86.
Then emerge the packages, and it'll automatically build them for you.
Finally, go into:
/etc/speech-dispatcher/speechd.conf
with a text editor--nano will do.  Find the line that says 'defaultmodules
flite', or defaultmodule, I forget.  Change that to 'defaultmodule
espeak-generic'.
Now, save that file, go into /etc/speech-dispatcher/modules, and edit
espeak-generic.conf.  There's a section which mentions a program called
'speak'.  Change that speak to espeak, and finally save the file, and add
the programs to the appropriate runlevels like so:
rc-update add speech-dispatcher boot
rc-update add speechd-up default
Reboot and you'll get speech.
If you've any questions, let me know, I'll be glad to help.
Yours,
Zack.