OT: saytime program

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu Mar 1 11:35:33 EST 2007

I do this:

alias tm='date +"\%l \%M \%P" | say -fi /dev/stdin'

Then all you have to do is type 'tm' and it will say the current time. For
example, "ten fourty one P M". That uses the DECtalk speech engine but you
could also use espeak.

alias tm='date +"\l \%M \%P" | speak

Or you could have it speak through whatever synth you're using for speakup
by just saying

date +"%l %M %P"

For that matter, you can just say 'date'.