Running a personal domain

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Sat Jun 30 18:55:45 EDT 2007

Zachary Kline wrote:
> PS: I wish I could host it myself, but I'd need to talk to
> my ISP about getting a static IP,

     Debian used to/still has a package called "dhis" that let you
piggyback with dhis.org and run a virtual static IP.  I'm not sure
they're free anymore, though.  They're at www.dhis.org.  You'd register
a domain name, and they'd append a .dhis.org to the end.  Unfortunately,
they filtered out the mail ports.  Dunno if they still do that, now that
they're taking money.  I rememver having to run a key generator, putting
my key in the /etc/dhis.conf file, and handing over their key.  It had a
script that ran when the machine connected to the net, to let dhis.org
know that my system was online.    Only tried it out and never actually
used it for anything, as I was only interested in having SMTP running.

         Michael