ftp configuration clarification

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Sat Jun 30 13:26:16 EDT 2007

I forgot to mention the more simple and more effective.
I used to run more than several machines at once, and
left them on the net all the time, with lax security because
I was unaware of vulnerability. I thought it was cool to
have all this connectivity, and all the granduer of linux
and other nix with all their free network software.

Now I do this, when I go to sleep or am not actually on
my computer I press the button on my cable modem
that shuts off the network. No network means nothing
to scan and find. If I walk out the door I now actually
shutdown my computer. I have bios password. I have
bios set to not boot from anything but the hard drive.
I have restricted parm in lilo, which means you cannot
enter boot parms. Perhaps I am paranoid but after
being hacked one becomes jittery.

I used to proudly proclaim that I never get viruses
and such because I was smart, then I was humbled.

  -- Doug