Software speech opinions

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 26 12:04:27 EDT 2007

From: "Shane" <shane-keyword-speakup.aca783 at cm.nu>
> For those who think prices are inflated by the greedy
> corporation, if that were the case and so much profit was
> being made in the area, why haven't other firms entered the
> market, driving prices down as a result?

This is a good point. Mostly, stuff costs what it costs. But there is a
thread going on on the jaws list right now about Freedom Scientific becoming
arrogant because jaws is "institutionalized".  Once you've purchased jaws,
it is very difficult to move to a competitor because it requires another
huge outlay of cash and time.

For years, I have been wanting to switch to Window-Eyes when I'm working
with Windows. But I haven't even asked the University to buy Window-eyes
because I know it would be opening a can of worms. The University bought
Jaws originally on my recommendation. But now it's on the lab machines and I
can't ask them to switch to something else. Also, I would have to learn how
to use Window-eyes and at least for a while, I'd be less productive. I'd
have to provide justification for that as well.

My current plan is to switch to either orca or VoiceOver as soon as either
one of those tools is ready for prime time. I'll either buy a Mac for home
or  set up a PC with orca at home and learn the new screen reader that way.