Slackware: kernel confusion

ace ace at talkingirc.net
Mon Jun 25 22:39:56 EDT 2007

My advice would be to grab the latest 2.6.21 kernel from www.kernel.org,
patch Speakup into it, configure it, compile, and install.  Don't try
anything 2.6.22 yet as it is still broken.

Here are the commands (or something close to what they would be) for doing
this:
wget ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.21.5.tar.bz2

This will grab the kernel for you.  Switch to root and cp the file to
/usr/src.  Then
tar xfv linux-2.6.21.5.tar.bz2
to untar it.

Get the checkout script from ftp.linux-speakup.org.  Place it in /usr/src
and make it executable:
chmod +x checkout
make a symlink to the kernel source:
ln -s linux-2.6.21.5 linux
then run checkout.  Hit enter then give it the password of
please

After a very long time, the patch should succeed.  Switch to the kernel
directory
cd linux
and read the README file.  Compiling the kernel can be done with the
following general command set:

make mrproper
make menuconfig  # Menu driven program for selecting everything to put in
kernel
make
make modules_install
cp -v arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage
cp -v System.map /boot/System.map

Remember to update lilo.conf and run the lilo command.

Good luck
Robby