ttsynth help: download problem

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Mon Jun 25 22:50:16 EDT 2007

Mike,

> I read the message about getting viavoice working on Slackware 9.1 and
> tried to follow directions.  There were tons of errors.  Guess ttsynth is
> a bust after all as I'll probably never get working.

Most likely the reason is that you're not on slackware 9.1, so you
have newer versions of gcc, glibc, and binutils, and when you tried
to compile the old glibc it ... gave you tons of errors. As I said
earlier, these toolchains are very tricky compatibility wise. It is
most likely still possible but would require more work that I did
three years ago because the current system at that time was
still compatible with the glibc for compilation. I plan to try to do
a more recent build with slackware 11.0 in the near future, so I
may have updated instructions at some point, but I can't make
any promises because it takes a lot of experimentation to do
those toolchain builds. If you really want that old tts engine to
work, it may actually be easier to go with the supported distros
like debian or ubuntu. I think IBM made a fairly huge mistake
when they packaged this engine.

  -- Doug