ftp question

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Mon Jun 25 12:34:53 EDT 2007

I've never had a problem with any ftp client (including ncftp) from
just typing get file1
then without waiting for it to finish processing that command, or even
while it's downloading, simply type get file2, and it queues them
automatically.  So, when file1 is finished, it automatically starts
getting file2.
I'm sure there's a setting somewhere in the config files that will
tell it to get them in sequence or simultaneously, but I've never
fiddled with that, and my files always come down one after the other.

I.E. you don't have to wait for file1 to be finished before asking for
file2, but it will wait until file1 is finished before getting file2
anyway.
This works for standard ftp as well.
(never used lftp, so can't comment)

The reason this works is because when you type a new command, it
simply goes into the buffer, and the ftp program processes the input
buffer *after* it's finished what it's doing at the moment.