Trying out Slackware

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Sun Jun 24 23:54:18 EDT 2007

Zachary Kline wrote:
 > What is the method for installing stuff that isn't in the Slackware
> package lists?

     On the install DVD/CDs, you'll find a directory named "slackbook."
  Not only does it teach you something about Slackware, but a little
about Linux itself.  Use your web browser and load the index.html file.
  It sounded like a pretty well written pamphlet on the system.  I'm
used to books being a little larger. <grins>  I assume you'll have to
visit Sourceforge for additional packages and install them into
/usr/local.  How they missed dos2unix I don't know, but the 'tr' command
should do for removing carriage returns.

         Michael