Trying out Slackware

Zachary Kline Z_kline at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 24 22:43:24 EDT 2007

Hiya,
    Since I don't technically have an actual computer running Linux to speak of, in some ways I have an advantage.  I'm able to try out new Linux distributions on the fly and as I become interested in them.  Today I tried out Slackware 11.0, and I really like it so far.  The only thing I have to get used to is the amount that comes preinstalled and the amount that isn't available.  There are far fewer packages in the Slackware repositories than in, say, the Gentoo Portage system or Debian's package databases.  But I don't know if this is a bad thing or not.
    That being said, could any of you Slackware veterans give me a tip or two?  What is the method for installing stuff that isn't in the Slackware package lists?  Do you compile from source, or make a Slackware package with makepkg?
Thanks,
Zack.
PS: I love BSD init.