Software speech opinions

C.M. Brannon cmbrannon at cox.net
Sun Jun 24 14:04:35 EDT 2007

"Doug Sutherland" <doug at proficio.ca> writes:

> What I meant was, if PCs don't have serial ports then synths will be
> made for USB, and then its a software issue. They will not become
> obsolete because of USB, in fact USB is arguably much better.

The problem with the current offerings is that the manufacturers
are unwilling to give out programming docs.  Hence, no speakup
support.  I won't do business with those kind of people, even though
the Triple Talk is well within my budget.  I would suggest that others
do the same.

I wonder about the possibility of reverse-engineering one
of these synths using a Windows system.  For example, usbsnoop is a
win32 program that can monitor traffic to and from USB devices
(see http://benoit.papillault.free.fr/usbsnoop/).

-- Chris