Slackware 11 aliases, anyone?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Jun 24 10:30:40 EDT 2007

Like Chuck said, use .profile; that's what I do.  Not sure about
.bashrc; I've heard of it but never make use of it.  About those other
aliases that keep comming back, look in your /etc directory.  Read
through /etc/profile for starters and notice the reference to
/etc/profile.d and all the .sh files inside.  Aliases can be, and are
set in one or more of those scripts.  I think most of them pertain to
the ls command and other environment variables are set in there too.
Another brief educational experience awaits you when browsing the /etc
directory.:)

On Sun, Jun 24, 2007 at 05:35:11AM +0100, Gaijin wrote:
>      Hi again all,
>
>      Well, Slack11 is working great.  The BSD init setup is strange
> after working in System V.  I have a really strange problem.  I saved a
> few of my own aliases in a file called .aliases, and then made and added
> the lines to .bashrc:
>
> echo 3 > /proc/speakup/rate
> source ~/.aliases
>
>      It didn't work, so I unaliased all of my aliases and tried again.
> That didn't work either, so I deleted every single file in the home
> directory, deleted every alias, logged out, logged vack in, and guess
> what?  The stoopid default aliases were back!  wtf?  Is Windows haunting
> my Linux drive now?  Anyone know how to get rid of the default aliases
> and add my own?  .bashrc doesn't seem to work in Slack for some odd
> reason, and yeah, I'm using bash.  Ran Debian for over two years, so I'm
> not TOO stupid. <laughs>  Thank the gods I'm running sendmail.  Best
> news I've had since January.  I wonder if there's a way to generate an
> installed  package list.
>
>          Michael

HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!