A computer issue, how should I deal with this? Best solution?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Jun 24 10:12:26 EDT 2007

Concerning the use of FAT32, I will never use it anymore.  As I will
explain further, you are restricted to file sizes of less than 4 GB.
I agree, it is compatable with both linux and windows so at least you
can share files back and forth.

I have a 200 GB USB drive I bought a year or so ago and it had a FAT32
file system on it.  I thought I would go ahead and start using it to
backup my stuff.  Well, both tar and winzip dutifully built my backups
for me but they each resulted in archives larger than 4GB and both
subsequently failed with size limit errors.  I either would have to
break them up into chunks to fit or do what I ultimately did.  I
repartitioned the drive with two partitions - one with NTFS and the
other being ext3.  Now I can backup all I want with no size limit
issues; unless I get too big and run out of space:) but that's another matter.
--
HolmesGrown Solutions
The best solutions for the best price!