Assistance with a dual-core machine.

Keith Hinton keithint38 at CommSpeed.net
Sun Jun 24 06:10:44 EDT 2007

Hello all on the ilst,
At this time, (although) I am sure that CVS SpeechD-up/Dispatcher sounds great, I do not wish to test it..and would rather run stable releases of the code.
At this present time, there are complex threading problems with the stable  programs with an SMP system.
I run Gentoo half of the time on my dual-core AMD Athlon 3800+, X2 processor system.
Now, this may be a better question to ask Hynek in particular.
But I thought I'd ask on this list, you all may be able to assist, sinse I'll be using Speakup, of course in the console.
If I turn off SMP (a workaround) I have created and of wich I am upset about doing, although it does work at the loss of my second valuable and useful core, I noticed speech-dispatcher/SpeechD-up/etc will run on "CPU0."
Now, if I let the system boot into standard SMP, SpeechD-up and Dispatcher are probably launching randomly on both cores at random, and not sticking with one.
Spisifically, I would like to keep using SMP and keep the power of this dual-core box the way it was ment to be.
To do this though I require help, and this is where I really need a person (with an SMP system) spisifically to reply, please.
Could anyone with the abuv computer systems (you need a dual-core or multi-core box) before replying though.. but could someone try to assist me on forcing the dispatcher/SpeechD-up processes on boot time and when launched by the Gentoo init.d system, to use only CPU0 and never run threads on both cores therefore allowing me to run with SMP and probably not having these problems until new public releases are made available?
Thank ou!
And please, (don't tell me to play with nice levels. That is totally not the point of this post or problem, please.) I won't do it anywyas eaven if you suggest that. Doing nice-levels will never get rid of the threading issues.
Regards, --Keith.