A computer issue, how should I deal with this? Best solution?

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Fri Jun 22 13:25:26 EDT 2007

Keith Hinton wrote:
> Hi all,
> My father is a person who expects Windows

     Had a similar problem with my computer illiterate father.  I told
him that "the next time you break it, you have to fix it."  Luckily,
that got him off my system permanently.  I'd suggest a dual-boot system.
  One where he can select Windows, but can't boot Linux without a
password.  Unfortunately, you won't be able to see the lilo prompts.  I
know nothing about grub.  If you can handle that, he'll never be able to
trash your Linux partition.  Windows XP can take care of itself.
Personally, I'd set up a dual-boot system with password protected Linux,
and a DOS prompt.   Let him freakin' try using that.  That's bullcrapp,
wrecking your computer just because he pays for the power.  If you have
any income, tell him you'll pay for the computer's electrical use.  In
any case, if he insists on breaking  the thing, insist that he effing
ix it if he wants to continue using it.  BTW, I use removable hard drive
trays.  You can plug in one or the other at whim.  If you can afford
twin hard drives, I'd go that way.  HTH,

         Michael