[ot] Windows programming

Shane shane-keyword-speakup.aca783 at cm.nu
Thu Jun 21 15:31:01 EDT 2007

Hey all,

I have a Windows app I'd like to have a go at writing.
Some here may be interested as well.  It'd use the com0com
project:
http://com0com.sourceforge.net/

to emulate an accent SA or dectalk and pass the input of
the serial port to sapi, basically enable softspeech via a
virtual serial port.  This could be assigned to vmware and
Speakup would be able to use it as a hardware synth.
Basically I want a self-contained laptop without having to
hall around the Accent SA.

Problem is, I'm used to programming under Linux where such
an emulator would be trivial.  Open a /dev/ttySx device,
poll it, translate the input and call the speech functions.
I'm just wondering what the simplest api to use under
Windows would be for a Linux programmer without too much of
a learning curve.  I've looked at mfc and Windows c++ code
and it looks like nothing I've ever encountered.  I'm
thinking a system like cygwin or minw32 would work but how
complete is their emulation of serial ports (termios etc.)
select/poll and do these unix like systems support the
SAPI.

Shane

--
http://www.cm.nu/~shane/