Speakup in userspace

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Wed Jun 20 07:20:51 EDT 2007

A few useful references

http://linuxconsole.sourceforge.net/input/input.html

Using the Input Subsystem - No matter how many buttons an input device
has or how many kinds of events it can generate, you can now work with
it from user space.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6429

Here is part one of that article series
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6396

Here is a useful way to browse around in the input driver source
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/drivers/input/?a=i386

This POC /dev/input/event/* keylogger is interesting
http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/sf/linux/2005-q3/0065.html

This is an interesting simple example driver code for input driver
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/landley/kdocs/Documentation/input/input-programming.txt

This is old but useful due to its description of the bigger picture
of keyboard scancodes and related stuff
http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/1080

As for console output, just as with the Input Driver redesign, it is
changing quicky and they are trying to clean up the architecture.
I suppose the first thing would be to see how the console is
changing and where it's heading architecture wise. I have a lot
of interest in this for other projects and will be doing some
investigation.

One thing I have in mind is implementing what will basically be the
equivalent of a VT100 terminal using a small microcontroller, where
input is an attached keyboard and output is speech. Since there
already is serial console, a means to implement a terminal with
keyboard input and speech output would be quite useful. Rather
than connecting a machine to serial port for console, you'd plug
in a dongle which would have both a keyboard port and an
output port for speech, or possibly even speech hardware in the
actual dongle. I'll share some more info on this idea a bit later.

  -- Doug