2 questions: "echo" and starting automatically

Terrence van Ettinger terrence at terrencevak.net
Tue Jun 19 02:16:22 EDT 2007

I'm using Edgy myself, and before I tried the update-rc.d method with the
startup script that someone suggested, I could start speakup manually with
no problems.  It's only been since I put that script in that I've been
unable to run either Gnome *OR* Speakup.  Gnome gives me a lovely (NOT)
printed error message that I can't even read, and speakup doesn't start
automatically or manually.  I tried deleting the script I'd created with
the speech-dispatcher and speechd-up commands in it, but I'm still getting
the same error.

Terrence