gentoo dropping speakup support

Gaijin gaijin at clearwire.net
Mon Jun 18 14:55:00 EDT 2007

Lorenzo Taylor wrote:
> It just needs a little work to become mainline kernel ready, and kernel
> code tends to scare off some developers (like me). <smile>

     Can SpeakUp be re-written as a loadable module?  I'm thinking of
parameters could then call additional modules which support specific
hardware and port assignments.  That way, SpeakUp would, and would not
be part of the kernel.  Being modular in design, both users and kernal
programmers could take it or leave it.  In a previous post, someone said
Linus didn't care for the way it was implemented...no offense to Kirk
and Andy.  Then kernal programmers wouldn't have to write code around
SpeakUp.  There would be far less resistance to including it in the
mainline kernal.
     Perhaps if SpeakUp accessed screen output the same way video
modules do?  I'm sure the answers are already present in the kernal for how
to implement SpeakUp, at least for those of us who already can support
it.  I figure if primative BIOS can access and use a USB keyboard, then
a kernal module can recognise and use a USB synth in a similar fashion.
  The answer is already in the kernal.  It just needs to be cut and
pasted into the SpeakUp interface and connected.  SpeakUp could then
call whatever hardware support module is required or needed,
irregardless of the platform.
     If SpeakUp can call on whatever hardware service is supported by
Platform-X, then it would just be a matter of telling SpeakUp what to
use and how to communicate with the synth.  (Jeez, I need to see the
code.)  I'll get this effer cross-platform supported if it's the LAST
thing I do. <growls>

         Michael