gentoo dropping speakup support

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Mon Jun 18 01:06:35 EDT 2007

One more suggestion. If gentoo or ubuntoo or any distro
doesn't include speakup, how about a script that grabs
a kernel from kernel.org, extracts, patches, compiles,
and installs it? I once made a script that built an entire
linux system from scratch, I mean building the toolchain
and all, if that's possible surely this is too. I suppose the
tricky part is kernel config, but even then it should be
possible to make a generic kernel that would boot with
speech on just about anything, with some work.

Or, you could use slackware, hehe.
Screw gentoo. Just kidding.

  -- Doug