gentoo dropping speakup support

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Mon Jun 18 00:39:53 EDT 2007

Travis,

I wasn't suggesting that this was addressing the real problem,
as I said, it was a suggestion as interim way to at least have
speech if  the regular boot doesn't talk.

The problem is bigger than user space or not. Right now you
cannot grab a doubletalk LT and plug it into a USB serial
adapter and use speakup, or any RS232 synth.

Interestingly though, you can plug a doubletalk LT into USB
serial adapter and configure the kernel for usb serial console
and get ALMOST all of the boot messages, but speakup
will not work.

The days of having RS232 ports on PCs might be limited,
and  there's lots of RS232 synths around, so this is an
example where the real answer lies in at mininal some
re-architecture of the speakup driver.

I'm perhaps a bit over the edge here, but I like to think
a lot in the multimodal sense that its always a bad idea
to assume specific modality, like a PC keyboard for
example. What I would like to see happening in speech
and accessibility in general is generic interfaces that do
not assume specific device. The synth has functions that
you invoke with keyboard, now let's say it was on a
phone with 4x4 keypad, or on a remote control, it
would be nice if it could still be doable. So basically
rather than assuming 104 key keyboard that would be
one mapping of function to controller.

There seems to be several good arguments for
re-architecting the drivers in this way, on both the
synth and user ends of the whole.

The kernel versus user space argument is interesting.
Consider ALSA, you have kernel drivers, but you
also have apps that use those drivers like the config
apps and the mixers and players. I tend to think that
strategically speakup needs to move in that direction.

Tactically my suggestion was coming up with some
small easily installable root file system and kernel
that would enable speech for those who don't have
it working, which from watching this list for several
years, seems to be many people.

What would be really cool is a USB dongle that
is not only a speech system but an entire linux
system on flash too. You could boot it on a
windows machine and not use windows at all.
And ideally it would also work with windows.
Okay, now back to reality, I'd be happy just to
figure out how to solve the usb serial problem
in the near term.

  -- Doug