2 questions: "echo" and starting automatically

Jan Buchal buchal at brailcom.org
Sun Jun 17 10:54:33 EDT 2007

    TvE> OK, I tried the update-rc.d route and ended up with a problem:
    TvE> neither speakup nor my X-window will work now. I don't get
    TvE> speakup at start-up, and when X starts I get an error message
    TvE> that I can't read. How can I fix this? I'm using Yasr for the
    TvE> moment, but really prefer speakup.
Hello,

I don't know if you have the same trouble but if I load speakup module
automaticaly then modprobe freeze and is necesary kill it. So for this I
have script in /etc/init.d/ which seems so:

#!/bin/sh
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin
case "$1" in
  start)
mplayer -quiet -af volume=-20:0 /usr/share/sounds/sound-icons/trumpet-12.wav

modprobe speakup_sftsyn &
sleep 1
killall modprobe
sleep 1
modprobe speakup_sftsyn
sleep 1
/usr/bin/speechd-up -c iso-8859-2

echo 6 >/proc/speakup/pitch
echo 9 >/proc/speakup/rate
	;;
  stop)
killall speechd-up
rmmod speakup_sftsyn
rmmod speakupmain
;;
esac

exit 0

You can start and stop it with /etc/init.d/script start/stop

Best

--

Jan Buchal
Tel: (00420) 24 24 86 008