switching from amd to p3

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Sat Jun 16 23:03:51 EDT 2007

Tyler said:
The cables are ok. do I just move it around on the cable?

The disk boot error is severe, and I would think that needs
to be solved even if you want to do a network boot. It is
hard to say without trying some things, but I would check

Is the IDE cable inserted the right way up in the drive.
Some drives will only let you insert it one way, others
will let you do it upside down.

Is the IDE cable inserted into the first IDE controller
port on motherboard. Best way to check is in BIOS,
you should see the drive as master.

Is the power cable inserted in the drive.

If more than one drive on same cable, one must be
set as master, one as slave, done by jumpers using
the label on drive as guide. As suggested before if
there already is another drive, try removing it and
boot with just the newly setup drive.

If all the physical connections seem okay, the next
thing I would do is boot from a CD or floppy and
do what I said before, at the boot prompt enter

kernel-name root=/dev/hda1 noinitrd ro

where kernel-name is the name of kernel on the
removable media, and the kernel is a "bare" one,
not specific to hardware, ie its 386 and generic
controllers. On slackware its called bare.i but
there should be an equivalent on debian. And
make sure the root= points to the right drive
letter and number of the partition with the root
file system.

You could also try loading a generic kernel on
the AMD, making sure it boots there, then
moving the kernel over. You'll have to check
the debian docs to find out which kernel to use.
I haven't use debian in a while.

> How hard are these floppies to get for deb?

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current//images/floppy/
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s03.html.en

  -- Doug

<speakup at braille.uwo.ca>